What's a Muleskinner, anyway?

My name is Deke Dickerson. I'm a full-time musician, with lots of interests. One of those interests is writing. I write for guitar magazines such as Guitar Player, Fretboard Journal, and Vintage Guitar. I also write music articles, liner notes, and books that accompany box sets.

Once, a long time ago, I thought it was weird to have your own web site. Then, I thought that myspace and Facebook were immature (turns out I was right about that one, but I'm on them anyway). When I heard the word "blog," I decried I would never have one. And yet, here I am. Enjoy...

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Maddox Brothers and Rose, country music royalty

The Maddox Brothers and Rose, immediately after they migrated from Alabama to California in 1933 (Kenneth, aka "Don Juan" Maddox, on the right, age 11 years in this photo).  At this time they joined hundreds of other depression-era families who lived in abandoned drainage pipes in what was called "Pipe City" in Oakland, CA.


From left to right: Fred, Don, and Cal Maddox, live on stage mid-1950's.  Previously unpublished photograph.

Below: Don Maddox and myself, Medford, Oregon, 2009.

4 comments:

  1. Two things that everyone should own: the Arhoolie "America's Most Colorful Hillbilly Band" CDs from the MB&R and Rose's biography by Jonny Whiteside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible pix, Deke, thanx, for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself going over old pics and records that I have,with people I've played music with over the years.I worked out of Nashville in the 1970's but started professionally in Ukiah Calif. I am from Norman okla. One of our local musicians Harlow Wilcox, with the Oakies recorded "Groovy Grub Worm" first on Impel Records then on Plantation in Nashville.I find it interesting to see others doing what I am just starting to do.Donny Bernard

    ReplyDelete